Praça do Comércio from Lisbon (Portugal)

The square owes its existence to the great Lisbon earthquake of the 1st of November 1755 and the fire that followed. On this spot, left empty due to natural disasters, a new regular city is built, as a result of reconstruction efforts coordinated by the Marquise of Pombal, the leader of the royal government.

Praça do Comércio appears on the place previously held by the court of the royal palace, Terreiro de Paço, a name still used for the square, with a side open towards the Tejo, the greatest river of the Iberian Peninsula. At 175 x 180 meters, the size of the square is huge, among the biggest on the European continent.