Giuseppe Tartini, author of the well known Il trillo del diavolo, was born in this city, then called Pirano, part of the Republic of Venice. The Piran square bears his name, and the birthplace of the composer can be found on a side of the square, the difference being that, at the time of his birth, the place looked completely different. The Tartini Square was not always a square, but, at first, an unloading dock for the boats and vessels fishing in the Adriatic, found outside the citadel walls. In time, palaces and beautiful administrative buildings begin to rise near the piers. As the importance of the place grows, the authorities decide the silting of the golf in 1894 and the building of a true square. Two years later, Tartini’s statue is unveiled here, thought of as a focal point, and the square, dominated from the hill by the Saint George church and with a campanile identical to the one in Venice, is a harmonious and lively space, with a proper and accomplished balance of form and proportion.