Featured Video Play Icon

Náměstí Přemysla Otakara II from Český Budějovice, Czech Republic

The square is among the largest in Europe and bears the name of king Ottokar II of Bohemia, who, in 1256, founds the town, called Budweis in German. The Black Tower, built in the 16thcentury, and the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas are fond in the south-eastern corner. The baroque building of the city hall is in the opposite corner of the square, whilst the central point is taken by Samson’s Fountain, with a very elaborate baroque decoration. 48 houses with coats of arms, a beer factory, and a salt marketcomplete the square.